Members of the Public Center for the Environment and Sustainable Development asked 13 questions to future deputies from Varna. The questions are related to the views of future rulers on the environment and youth policy, urban planning and business.
“Will you support the necessary legal steps to veto the import of waste destined for incineration?” This is the first question from the environmental association. The reference is to the petition that the non-governmental organization sent in May last year to the Ministry of the Environment and Water asking for a ban on the import of waste with code 19 12 10, for the purposes of energy recovery in the country. Almost a year after the proposal was presented, the Public Center for the Environment and Sustainable Development has not received a response.
In March of this year, together with the Ecological Association “For the Earth” and “Breathe, Devnya”, we again submitted applications to the Ministry of Environment and Water and the Ministry of Health. This time we called for an end to the investment proposals for the incinerators in Devnya; the revocation of permits to companies for the combustion of pesticides in the municipality and the opening of an air quality measurement station in the district of Povelyanovo.
The current questions to the candidates are also related to their programs on the theme of “separate collection” and in particular of composting; measures relating to the reduction of plastic waste generated by commercial sites; legal changes that they propose or support to facilitate the process of installing and using RES by families. One of the main issues concerns the restoration of the cleanliness of Lake Varna and the sanctions proposed by future deputies against the authors of the ecological catastrophe of the ruptured gas pipeline.
With regard to urban planning, the issues on which the public expects a response are linked to the conservation and increase of urban green areas, the demolition of the protective forest belt at Gorna Traka, as well as their position with respect to the introduction of technology. 5G by mobile operators.
We send current inquiries to applicants in the hope of receiving good news as soon as possible. We hope in Earth Hour – March 31, when we will symbolically turn off the lights of our bulbs, to enlighten citizens on the intentions of future rulers.
The answers of all candidates will be published without editorial intervention on ecovarna.info.
The citizens’ initiative is implemented as part of the project “Raising public awareness of the role of civil society for the community”, carried out with financial support from Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway under the EEA financial mechanism. The main objective of the project is to improve citizens’ awareness of the role of non-governmental organizations in society.
Questions to the candidates for parliamentarians of the Third MIR of Varna
Sfera – Environmental policy
- Will you support legal steps needed to veto the import of waste for incineration?
- What is your program on the subject of separate collection and composting by families and restaurants?
- What measures are envisaged, at the municipal level, to reduce plastic waste generated by commercial sites and in particular those offering food and drinks?
- What is your position on the treatment of end-of-life car tires?
- What actions will you take to restore the cleanliness of Lake Varna and what sanctions will you propose to the perpetrators of the eco-accident caused by the ruptured gas pipeline?
Sphere – urban planning
- What legal changes would you propose that would lead to an increase in green space in urban areas?
- What legal changes will you propose that will lead to the protection of existing urban green areas?
- What is your position on the demolition of the forest protection belt in the Gorna Traka region and subsequent citizen protests?
- What is your position on the introduction of 5G technology by mobile operators?
Sphere – business
- What legal changes would you propose or support to facilitate the process of installing and using renewable energy by households?
- What measures do they personally envisage as candidates and as a program of the parties on whose lists they participate for the protection of the restitution heirs and their interests for the conservation and development of their restored assets?
- What mechanisms do they offer to protect against the expropriation of their assets for public use?
- What mechanisms for decent compensation as the special private property of people affected by nationalization?
- What measures does it intend to take to preserve in favor of the Municipality, assets already acquired, through the nationalization of urban areas or historical sites, not subject to restitution of the beneficial owners, from privatization in favor of new private property?
Sphere – Youth Policy
What proposals for youth policy will you defend in Parliament, apart from the cliché “Youth Empowerment”?