April 25 is World Penguin Day, a favourite of many birds because of their fascinating gait and constant curiosity. In a short article we have written you interesting facts related to them
1. Penguins inhabit the southern hemisphere. They live in cold climates, like Antarctica. Three species live in the tropics; one lives as far north as the Galapagos Islands .
2. They are very good swimmers, and the best swimmer among their species is the emperor penguin, which can dive about 500 meters and stay underwater for a little more than 20 minutes.
3. Despite lacking ears, penguins have excellent hearing and rely on a variety of calls to identify their mates when returning to crowded breeding grounds.
4.When a female penguin lays an egg, she goes hunting for about 65-75 days, leaving the male to incubate the egg. Therefore he must have enough fat in his body to survive weeks without eating.
5. If a female Emperor Penguin’s chick dies, she “adopts” another chick left without parents, or unattended.
6. When the male penguin chooses a mate, she gives him the most beautiful pebble in the universe as a marriage vow.
7. Since they have no natural enemy on land, penguins show not fear but curiosity when approached by humans.
8. There are about 18 different species of penguins around the world
9. In Cape Town, South Africa there is a nature reserve with penguins (Boulders Penguin Colony) , where people can swim with them, bake on the beach and play with the little cuties.